Home > Eclipse development > My Eclipse Plug-in Stopped Working After I Copied It Onto My Linux Box!

My Eclipse Plug-in Stopped Working After I Copied It Onto My Linux Box!


I ran into an interesting problem the other day: I was copying my Eclipse workspace from my Windows Vista box to a Linux environment and the plug-in stopped working (when I say not working I mean that I double-clicked on plugin.xml and the Plug-in Development Environment treated it like an empty plug-in: no name., no id, no dependencies…nothing). I have been working on and off on a plug-in, keeping copious notes as I want to blog about the various things I have been doing for future blogs, when I found that the plugin.xml file appeared to be disconnected from the plug-in project itself.

Rather than write my usual wordy post here is the solution: when the plug-in was created/copied on Windows the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files somehow ended up in lower case. When I copied the workspace to the Linux box the Eclipse plug-in development environment did not know what to make of the new lower case names and so did what any self-respecting IDE would do: Eclipse ignored it.

Rename the folder and file to upper case: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF. The project will come back to life. Life goes on.

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: